Rebuilding/ Contending

Talk about anything that is DHL related
Carolina Gm-Andrew
Carolina Hurricanes

Rebuilding/ Contending

Post by Carolina Gm-Andrew »

I've been firing pm's around lately and am a bit shocked with some teams directions... IMO you are either one or the other, or your dumb, or have circumstances like you dont have your pick and took over a bottom feeder etc.

Hi my name is Andrew and Carolina is rebuilding, likely for two more seasons.

For trading purposes, please feel free to announce your state of the Franchise.

Thanks for your time :)
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Re: Rebuilding/ Contending

Post by Ben-Sens »

He I'm Benjamin Gallant, I'm in the last few seasons of my rebuild; I have been trading down in this draft to get more quantity pieces that aren't for purely rebuilding purposes because I have my quality pieces already.

That means I have been looking to trade draft picks down for cash and will be active in both the draft and free agency this year, a first for me in this league
Soon my pretties will be ready and I'll have a dynasty... soon #aimharder #shootbetter
saif
Former New Jersey GM

Post by saif »

i agree with the Rebuilding/ Contending, everyone should be in one group or the other, i'm the #1 contender for the number #1 pick, i've set my team up to contender for that pick, as long as i feel i haven't got enough do prospect to contend or my prospects start getting, last year i sucked, but failed in the draft lottery, but still picked up Forsburg and Murray, so it's not that bad. and i will continue to do so until further notice, but adding 6 first rounders from the NHL draft is a decent start.

All other pretend rebuilders, bring it, 10 wins in a season, only way i could have winning record in if i play the Wild 82 times.
Tanking is for pathetic losers!

Michael
Former Tampa Bay GM

Post by Michael »

What's your definition of "contending?" Feeling you have a legitimate chance at a cup or just feeling you have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs?
"Yeah, I’m cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn’t mean I’m not a nice person.”

Jeremy Roenick
bluesgm
St. Louis Blues

Post by bluesgm »

Let me first say that I thinking tanking for multiple seasons is BS...I took over a team that had missed the playoffs for a bunch of years in a row...only had 1 player 72+OV....and 2 blue chip prospects. I have never missed the playoffs....I have continued to grow this team and let me say there is more than just tanking to get you where you need to go....make the playoffs use that revenue to buy a player or 2 in UFA...then use your draft choices wisely all the while not tanking...are you a serious cup contendor...NO..but you can build just as fast, if not faster doing it this way than waiting and hoping that your lottery luck is good and your picks/prospects turn into real players.

Now I am not saying everyone, everytime...there are some instances where there is no choice but to suck...but no need to tank so bad that not one player on your roster is any good. There has to be a plan in place to get better and hoping prospects work out cant be the only one.

Or as Mears once said about me when someone asked how did that happen? ( A referral that the Blues were no longer pushovers)

Mears responded..."send out 100 trade proposals a day"

That and not tanking is the way to build a team!

DHL Cup Champions Seasons 21,23,24,30
GM of the Year Seasons 19,21,24,30
Tyler - Columbus
Former Columbus GM

Post by Tyler - Columbus »

Hi, my name is Tyler. I'm not planning on contending but I'm also not planning on tanking. If you care anymore on my opinion tanking, refer to the post above me from what John said.
[size=150][i]The End of An Era[/i][/size]
Season 13 - President's Cup Winner
Season 13 - GM of the Year
Carolina Gm-Andrew
Carolina Hurricanes

Michael wrote:What's your definition of "contending?" Feeling you have a legitimate chance at a cup or just feeling you have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs?

Contending would be having a team that if you got some bounces could end up in the final. I have made the finals 3 times. Twice as a 2, once as a 5-6, it happens see Washington this year.

To all those that are against tanking, we dont have fanbases... Coming in 7th-10th can be a deadly trap. I've Won, Rebuilt, yep tanked for two years! Made a final and now will rebuild/ maybe even tank (i'll look at the East) for another two seasons. I'm against the L.A / Anaheim (previous gm) style tanks. They had almost no end in site and could have been sped up substaintally with the same end result imo. The point is, teams should have a goal of winning. So your either a contender, or your taking a route to get there. I don't see the point in being happy being a perennial 7-10 team.

Michael, you're the person I had in mind when I wrote extenuating circumstances, you're cleaning up one heck of a mess...
Michael
Former Tampa Bay GM

Post by Michael »

Carolina Gm-Andrew wrote:
Michael wrote:What's your definition of "contending?" Feeling you have a legitimate chance at a cup or just feeling you have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs?

Contending would be having a team that if you got some bounces could end up in the final. I have made the finals 3 times. Twice as a 2, once as a 5-6, it happens see Washington this year.

To all those that are against tanking, we dont have fanbases... Coming in 7th-10th can be a deadly trap. I've Won, Rebuilt, yep tanked for two years! Made a final and now will rebuild/ maybe even tank (i'll look at the East) for another two seasons. I'm against the L.A / Anaheim (previous gm) style tanks. They had almost no end in site and could have been sped up substaintally with the same end result imo. The point is, teams should have a goal of winning. So your either a contender, or your taking a route to get there. I don't see the point in being happy being a perennial 7-10 team.

Michael, you're the person I had in mind when I wrote extenuating circumstances, you're cleaning up one heck of a mess...

If that's your definition, then I disagree that a team has to be one or the other.
"Yeah, I’m cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn’t mean I’m not a nice person.”

Jeremy Roenick
Carolina Gm-Andrew
Carolina Hurricanes

Michael wrote:
Carolina Gm-Andrew wrote:

If that's your definition, then I disagree that a team has to be one or the other.

SHOCKER ;) :lol:
saif
Former New Jersey GM

Post by saif »

I don't understand why some GM's act like tanking is somehow frowned upon, i don't know why it is, personally i took over a lousy team, and looking at the elite teams at that time, i figured making 5-8 in the east was totally possible, but i wouldn't be a real contender, so i moved all my decent older pieces for picks and prospects, a means to an end, the sooner the better, but multiple tanked season i believe is better the multiple 6-10 place finish seasons.
Tanking is for pathetic losers!

Jonathan
Former Chicago GM

Post by Jonathan »

saif wrote:I don't understand why some GM's act like tanking is somehow frowned upon, i don't know why it is, personally i took over a lousy team, and looking at the elite teams at that time, i figured making 5-8 in the east was totally possible, but i wouldn't be a real contender, so i moved all my decent older pieces for picks and prospects, a means to an end, the sooner the better, but multiple tanked season i believe is better the multiple 6-10 place finish seasons.

Tanking in the DHL is a hotly contested subject, and it has been for a long time.
Nick - Philly
Philadelphia Flyers

Post by Nick - Philly »

Hi, I'm Nick Somers. I am the GM of Philly. I will be rebuilding for the next two seasons. In trade I will be looking mostly for prospects and picks in trade talks. Looking to load up on picks and young guys over the next 2 seasons before starting to add and transition into a playoff team.
Michael
Former Tampa Bay GM

Post by Michael »

Hi, I'm Mike Mears, the GM of the Montreal Canadiens. Some think I'm the anti-Christ, but really I'm just a nice, sweet, misunderstood guy. I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing with my team. I've also got some swamp land for sale, if anyone's interested.

Jeremy Roenick
Boltsgm
Former Tampa Bay GM

Post by Boltsgm »

Im Dan Ramage.. Tampa GM.. I am looking to contend, but not going to sell the farm to do it, I would like my young guys to develop and win that way

Ramage GM History
Playoff Record: 9-16

Nash-Hodgson-Burns
Purcell-Lecavalier-Bailey
Roussel-Dubinsky-Fehr
Klinkhammer-Pyatt- Smith-Pelly

Hamhuis-Nikitin
Barrie-Gunnarsson
Del Zotto-Meszaros

Varlamov
Hutton