Basterd Scouting Y32 Mock Draft - Post Lotto Edition

All past and present draft results

Moderators: Dallas Chris, Nick - Philly, Carolina Gm-Andrew, Habs GM

RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Basterd Scouting Y32 Mock Draft - Post Lotto Edition

Post by RichBasterd »

With the top of the draft order now set, I figured I'd post the top 14 selections as I see them. Not one that I feel especially confident about either and I'm sure there will be some shuffling of the order as picks are traded. However, without further adieu, here's the list:
PickTeamPlayerQuick Note
1VegasC Kent JohnsonThis may look off the board a bit but this is just gut instinct and I think his ceiling is thru the roof and he fits great with Vegas who needs a 1C
2PittsburghD Owen PowerWith Dach, Holtz, Denisenko, Raymond and Robertson, there's no shortage of forward prospects for the Pens so this is just a no-brainer to take a #1 d-man to keep the rebuild going
3EdmontonC Mason McTavishNot a knock on McTavish at all but the depth chart in front of him and style of play suggests he's gonna end up a winger but the Oilers would use him as a C
4OttawaLW William EklundOttawa is deep on the right side in prospects so this is a perfect fit to get a top 6 LW in the Sens' prospect pool
5RangersRW Matt CoronatoThis seems where the draft starts to fall off a bit and I could see this pick getting moved but if not, the dynamic Coronato would be a good fit for Ajay's Rangers
6WashingtonRW Fabian LysellWhile this pick is being shopped, I don't believe it gets moved and Lysell feels a safer bet than the other options here for the Caps
7MinnesotaRW Dylan GuentherIf the Yotes don't mess up his development, he's got as good a chance as anyone in this draft to be an impact player...but thats a big if and why he drops to the Wild
8IslandersC Zachary BolducMore likely ends up a LW as he projects to be similar to Beauvillier in style who can score goals and the Isles could use a winger exactly like that
9ColumbusC Fedor SvechkovThe Jackets pool boasts a deep set of players so a Russian that can take their time to develop would make some sense though I could also see this pick being moved due to that prospect depth
10WinnipegG Sebastian CossaThis could easily be wrong but went with BPA and felt like the Jets will just go that route, whoever that is
11AnaheimRW Chase StillmanHe's gonna be an NHLer for sure, just may not be in a top 6 role and thats fine, Lance has tons of top tier prospects so a guy who can play physically and be a top 9 winger will fit in well long term
12Washington (via Tampa)LW Zachary L'HeureuxBack-to-back guys who will be definite NHLers, L'Heureux likely is more of a physical beast that will fit in well with the skill players that the Caps are accumulating
13Vegas (via Dallas)D Corson CeulemansWith the top pick being a stud center, the Knights can select a boom-or-bust type of d-man but if he hits, he could be every bit as good as the other top d-men in the draft
14ChicagoC Wyatt JohnstonThis is another spot where I see the talent start dropping off but I'm trusting the Stars with how they seem to consistently find NHLers and the Hawks are basically taking the BPA at this spot
Note, that once the rest of the draft order is basically set (minus the Cups finals), I should have a full mock draft posted as well but too much variability with the order due to the playoff results right now.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
twestacott
Washington Capitals

Re: Basterd Scouting Y32 Mock Draft - Post Lotto Edition

Post by twestacott »

Great read as usual sir
S23 General Manager of the Year
S24 Presidents Trophy Winner
S23 Presidents Trophy Winner
Kris
Chicago Blackhawks

Post by Kris »

Appreciate the effort. Maybe you forgot that I'm woth Chicago now and BPA doesn't tend to be my M.O. with drafting.

Lysell the safest bet at 6? That seems the complete opposite of the scoring report that has him boom or bust.

All the reasons why the 2021 draft will go down as the most interesting in history.
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Post by RichBasterd »

Kris wrote:Appreciate the effort. Maybe you forgot that I'm woth Chicago now and BPA doesn't tend to be my M.O. with drafting.

Lysell the safest bet at 6? That seems the complete opposite of the scoring report that has him boom or bust.

All the reasons why the 2021 draft will go down as the most interesting in history.
Nope didnt forget and even though Johnston is the BPA there, he was an off the board pick by Dallas too. So, while I still stand by that pick mostly, as I said thats where I saw a change in the talent that it could start going off the wall there too. The guy I have projected right after Johnston could be your pick as well but everyone will have to wait a bit to see that.

If you look at the guys I've got after Lysell, none of them are that safe while having a high-end upside too (maybe except Cossa but I dont think that Todd take him at all). As I said "a safer bet than the other options", so yeah unless you wanna reach to safer and lower ceiling guys, then Lysell is the best choice IMO. Todd is also shopping the pick so its hard to predict this choice too.

It absolutely will be a crazy draft to review in 4-5 yrs for sure.
Last edited by RichBasterd on Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed grammar
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Post by anthgrt-la »

My #1/2 are not even in your top 3 lol. Always love reading these yet alone with a draft like this one.
Jamie
Vegas GM

Post by Jamie »

Good stuff! :)
bluesgm
St. Louis Blues

Post by bluesgm »

If I had the #1 pick that's who I'd take

DHL Cup Champions Seasons 21,23,24,30
GM of the Year Seasons 19,21,24,30
anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Post by anthgrt-la »

Had 5 1sts in CDNHL. My personal rankings I used for that. Some of this would potentially change since the draft occurred yet will post what I had beforehand for whoever is interested:

Eklund
Powers
Guenther
Beniers

Johnson
Hughes
McTavish
Clarke
Lucius
Edvinsson

Sillinger
Cossa
Coronato
Wallstedt
Svechkov
L'Hereaux
Lysell
Bourgault
Othmam

Pinelli
Raty
Ceulemans
Chibrikov
Lambos
saif
Former New Jersey GM

Post by saif »

very interesting, i took Dylan Guenther #5 overall, i don't think he will slide to #7 here, but cool write up
Tanking is for pathetic losers!