FL Panthers Discussion

Talk about what's going on in the hockey world
anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Re: FL Panthers Discussion

Post by anthgrt-la »

I wanted LA to bring in Gallant. I believe he is an upper tier coach. Just look at FLA's record to start the season with all the injuries and then once he was replaced how they fell off the face of the Earth.

I think there are multiple teams after Montgomery. Know it just came out today Blake was talking with him or also showing serious interest. Shocked though as first stated he would be looking for a coach with NHL experience.
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Post by RichBasterd »

anthgrt-la wrote:I wanted LA to bring in Gallant. I believe he is an upper tier coach. Just look at FLA's record to start the season with all the injuries and then once he was replaced how they fell off the face of the Earth.

I think there are multiple teams after Montgomery. Know it just came out today Blake was talking with him or also showing serious interest. Shocked though as first stated he would be looking for a coach with NHL experience.
I could see Gallant working well in LA too. I agree with Jonathan though, he's not a superstar coach but just a solid guy. He had his flaws like any coach does but he did well with the team he was given and really made things work once Jagr was brought in. With the players in LA, he likely would have done well though not sure he would've pushed them over the top. In Vegas, I think Gallant will make the roster look respectable but I'm sure he knows that once they have better talent, he'll likely be pushed out for a better coach.

I know the Panthers are interviewing Montgomery though so thats a definitive thing as opposed to just showing interest. Besides the other possible candidates in the AHL coaching ranks, apparently there's some interest in some of the current assistants in the NHL still coaching. Housley is supposedly a possibility and a link to Tallon from the past. Apparently Todd Reirden is also a possibility since he's had both head coaching in the AHL & now an assistant in Washington. There's even been mention of Davis Payne from the Kings as an option for the Panthers.

Whoever the coach ends up being, apparently Tallon has said that it likely will be a younger coach. The exact words from him, "We’re looking for a creative guy, a contemporary guy that is a good communicator, a good teacher … that can handle the younger player today and that can understand that they still have to be coached and mentored and taught and yet still have that passion to win." And apparently saying that Tallon said he wants a coach who preaches a run-and-gun, high-scoring offense with puck-moving defensemen who join the attack. Not sure I like the last part of that about a run-and-gun type of coach considering I dont think the Panthers quite have the right talent to play that style.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Post by RichBasterd »

Still no coach hired in Pantherland but obviously they're interviewing as many good candidates as possible. Montgomery, Therrien, Reirden, and now Boughner while they wait to interview Housley. My gut says they really want Housley but will settle for Montgomery or Boughner.

I thought it was interesting too in the last 2 days that Shawn Thornton was hired as part of the org and then there's been mention that Chris Pronger is in discussions to join the hockey ops team. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what role they would have for Pronger too and like the idea to compliment the analytics guys with a former player who played with an edge.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Post by RichBasterd »

Well looks like coaching search is over and they are expecting to hire Boughner. I kinda like the move and part of my is still worried about this "hire a young coach" idea. Also concerned about the fact that he's been assistant to DeBoer who we've seen before in Florida. Guess it will be a wait-and-see and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
– Yoda