DHL Season 30 Offseason and ahead

Talk about anything that is DHL related
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

DHL Season 30 Offseason and ahead

Post by RichBasterd »

Whats the plan for this offseason? How are ratings gonna be calculated? Is it just cutoff the stats at a set number of games or is there going to be some pro-rating happening? This is kinda a big deal as it impacts a lot of us and what moves we're willing to make I would think.

Are we planning to delay the draft until after the NHL draft has been completed? NHL draft is still 2 months away. How's that going to impact the rest of the offseason with RFA signings, UFA, etc? I assume its just push everything back like the NHL which is fine and we've still go a long way to go with the playoffs so that unlikely we finish up before beginning of Sept anyway unless there are a bunch of sweeps. Still that means we're likely talking about a month to wait until we can draft with very minimal to do during that time (maybe it means opening up RFA and challenges a bit earlier than normal, perhaps?).

And then what about next NHL season not starting until basically Dec 1st with how we do re-rates for next offseason when its partial re-rates? The NHL is planning for a full 82 game season next yr but that means that we wont be half way thru that season until more likely April. Are we just planning to slow down everything to match and then what happens when they try to return to a normal schedule the following fall?
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
twestacott
Washington Capitals

Re: DHL Season 30 Offseason and ahead

Post by twestacott »

Wondering the same particularily about rerates. I know I am involved in a number of trade talks that have been held up because parties want to see what re-rates will look like before pulling the trigger on major pieces or giving up blue chip prospects.
S23 General Manager of the Year
S24 Presidents Trophy Winner
S23 Presidents Trophy Winner
Machomadness
New York Rangers

Post by Machomadness »

A draft before the nhl draft won’t work with not knowing the ODD draft order,

Thanks for the post though nice to know how we proceed, going forward
Carolina Gm-Andrew
Carolina Hurricanes

Post by Carolina Gm-Andrew »

One possibility would be to go off an established list. It doesn’t have to be the NHL Draft List that we decide to split into odds and evens.
BigMac3110
Tampa Bay Lightning
Location: Impress them with your Brilliance, Baffle them with your Bullshit

Post by BigMac3110 »

Carolina Gm-Andrew wrote:One possibility would be to go off an established list. It doesn’t have to be the NHL Draft List that we decide to split into odds and evens.
Ya that’s what we did for CDNHL/SHL/GVFHL.
Regular Season Record
352W-354L-89T-28OTL
Playoff Record
30-28
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Post by RichBasterd »

I think most of us prepare based on the NHL Draft list though so its hard to say that now (especially after some have already made trades for the offseason). I get it, pandemic and all, but i doubt its going to be that big of a deal to wait anyway until Oct 6th when the draft occurs to start ours. Cause lets be honest, ratings likely will come first anyway and will need to probably take a little break after that. As Dallas Chris said in the draft thread, after we take that break, the draft will be here...thats less of a concern really IMO than the rest.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
twestacott
Washington Capitals

Post by twestacott »

RichBasterd wrote:I think most of us prepare based on the NHL Draft list though so its hard to say that now (especially after some have already made trades for the offseason). I get it, pandemic and all, but i doubt its going to be that big of a deal to wait anyway until Oct 6th when the draft occurs to start ours. Cause lets be honest, ratings likely will come first anyway and will need to probably take a little break after that. As Dallas Chris said in the draft thread, after we take that break, the draft will be here...thats less of a concern really IMO than the rest.
Agreed..... I think the greater concern is at least knowing the plan of how re-rates will be done as that could have a fairly significant effect on player value in terms of trades.
S23 General Manager of the Year
S24 Presidents Trophy Winner
S23 Presidents Trophy Winner
Kris
Chicago Blackhawks

Post by Kris »

Carolina Gm-Andrew wrote:One possibility would be to go off an established list. It doesn’t have to be the NHL Draft List that we decide to split into odds and evens.
You can't do this for the simple reason that what happens if some of those guys don't even get picked in the actual NHL draft? They won't be eligible for ours. There is far too much variance in lists to go off of one. Plus that is a change in what we do as a league. If we see sticking with our usual plan then it makes sense to just wait.
Nick - Philly
Philadelphia Flyers

Post by Nick - Philly »

RichBasterd wrote:Whats the plan for this offseason? How are ratings gonna be calculated? Is it just cutoff the stats at a set number of games or is there going to be some pro-rating happening? This is kinda a big deal as it impacts a lot of us and what moves we're willing to make I would think.
Rerates are calculated the same way. All ratings are based on percentile of per game stats so doesn't really matter how many games are played. Normally I would have rerates done by now but COVID has made my spring/summer very busy as a public accountant. Still working evenings and weekends to keep up. I haven't found any free time where I can bring myself to sit down and do it. Most of my free time not working has been spent golfing or with family. There also just hasn't been a push because trades cant happen until the draft.
Are we planning to delay the draft until after the NHL draft has been completed? NHL draft is still 2 months away. How's that going to impact the rest of the offseason with RFA signings, UFA, etc? I assume its just push everything back like the NHL which is fine and we've still go a long way to go with the playoffs so that unlikely we finish up before beginning of Sept anyway unless there are a bunch of sweeps. Still that means we're likely talking about a month to wait until we can draft with very minimal to do during that time (maybe it means opening up RFA and challenges a bit earlier than normal, perhaps?).
I don't see any reason to do the DHL draft before the NHL draft. Maybe we can move up RFA, UFA, Challenges, etc. and do the draft last this year to keep things flowing. I think that would bring us close to the draft.
And then what about next NHL season not starting until basically Dec 1st with how we do re-rates for next offseason when its partial re-rates? The NHL is planning for a full 82 game season next yr but that means that we wont be half way thru that season until more likely April. Are we just planning to slow down everything to match and then what happens when they try to return to a normal schedule the following fall?
We would normally be done of next season in Jan/Feb we could wait for NHL to get to 41 games played or we could do a season with the same ratings similar to what we did with the last lockout. HArd to know what will happen with next NHL season so can't really make any decisions on that until we see how NHL plays out.
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild
Location: "All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don’t break them for no one."

Post by Chris-Wild »

This sounds like the perfect time to switch to one dhl season per nhl season :-$

Im semi kidding. Gotta wait for nhl draft in split draft or do what saif said and combine this draft with next season and do a full draft next offseason.
Chris | Wild GM
anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Post by anthgrt-la »

Chris-Wild wrote:This sounds like the perfect time to switch to one dhl season per nhl season :-$

Im semi kidding. Gotta wait for nhl draft in split draft or do what saif said and combine this draft with next season and do a full draft next offseason.
Enough 1 FHL yr per NHL yr leagues. Don't break what isn't broken.
saif
Former New Jersey GM

Post by saif »

no player in draft will be rated, just do 2 drafts in the next off season, and let's go!
Tanking is for pathetic losers!

Dallas Chris
Dallas Stars

Post by Dallas Chris »

We don't start our draft until the playoffs are over. At some point we are going to have to slow down, because the NHL was off for 4 months and wont start up until at least January. By the time the DHL playoffs are over the NHL draft (OCT 9th) will only be 3 weeks or so away. John can do RFA and rookies and ratings as soon as the playoffs are over. This always took 2 - 3 weeks. Then we could start our draft the day the NHL draft starts. Followed by UFA starting 1 week after our draft. This offseason should almost be the same, if we shuffle a few things around.
John - Sharks
San Jose Sharks

Post by John - Sharks »

I agree. Wait until the actual NHL draft. We can spend some time talking about any potential rule changes (even if it's just for the heck of it) to make the league more interesting if it gets slow.
DHL Commissioner
DHL Season 4, 5, 9, 12, 16 Champions
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Post by RichBasterd »

I think the main thing that everyone is waiting on at this point is ratings. Sounds like lots of deals being held up until we know what the ratings are. If Nick needs help, I’m sure there’s quite a few of us that can pitch in now that we know he’s been more busy than usual. Its good though to know that there’s no pro-rating planned for or any changes to how things are being done with ratings so thanks Nick.

Side point of things to pass the time, I’m sure we can get the awards started up at this point minus the Conn Smythe. I feel like a lot of the voting for GMOTY or Epic Fail has a factor in what happens in the playoffs but this year, maybe we just do them while people are waiting for draft, ratings, etc.
– Yoda