Preview: Season 17 Goalie Ratings

Moderator: Nick - Philly

anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Re: Season 17 Goalie Ratings

Post by anthgrt-la »

Nick - Philly wrote:
anthgrt (la-gm) wrote:Quick 73ov, Jones 82? Really? REALLY???

Jones is gonna be beastn'. I didn't think a goalie with that few games played could go that high, but his #'s are exceptional.

Jones hold the NHL record for the best 10 game start to his career of any goalie ever. That said it is bs that with so little games you can get that high of ratings.

Also how has Quick played bad? Back to back WCF (2nd yr doing it singlehandedly), stanley cup, nominated and jacked of a vezina, and a conn smythe in the last three seasons. This is the issue with only looking at and using stats. That said no other or better way to do ratings so I understand, just sometimes feel like real input needs to be added or put in. Jones should be no where near rated what Quick is, yet alone the highest ov in the league, no matter what stats indicate.
Nick - Philly
Philadelphia Flyers

Post by Nick - Philly »

I find that the DHL ratings usually get it right for goalies. I think the combo of the 48 game season and this half rerate are causing some strange ratings. On normal seasons they are usually pretty accurate.

I think Chris said before that it is a games played and S% multiple that decides the ratings for goalies. With a shortened season and last year and this half rerate we are sure to get a few strange ones. Especially when we factor in injuries.
Tyler - Columbus
Former Columbus GM

Post by Tyler - Columbus »

I'm in the "those OV for guys who've played a handful (or even 1) NHL games are ridiculous" boat. Sure their EN/DU are really low which will have its affect on things but goalies don't get hurt/tired too much in our sim so they'll probably start more games than they should which hurts the realism. Just a flaw in the system.
[size=150][i]The End of An Era[/i][/size]
Season 13 - President's Cup Winner
Season 13 - GM of the Year
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild
Location: "All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don’t break them for no one."

Post by Chris-Wild »

Nick - Philly wrote:How Come Svedberg's ratings are so high when he has only played one game?

It was a good game.
Chris | Wild GM
Nick - Philly
Philadelphia Flyers

Post by Nick - Philly »

Chris-Wild wrote:
Nick - Philly wrote:How Come Svedberg's ratings are so high when he has only played one game?

It was a good game.
:lol: Yeah it was.

I just remember a few seasons ago, Curtis McElhinney played one game and had a .970 S% and was like a 70 OV. I thought that John went in and adjusted these when there was only 1 game played. Not a very big sample size.
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild
Location: "All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don’t break them for no one."

Post by Chris-Wild »

Nick - Philly wrote:
Chris-Wild wrote:

It was a good game.
:lol: Yeah it was.

I just remember a few seasons ago, Curtis McElhinney played one game and had a .970 S% and was like a 70 OV. I thought that John went in and adjusted these when there was only 1 game played. Not a very big sample size.

Yeah he will, there are always anomalies that need some tweaking.
Chris | Wild GM
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Re: Preview: Season 17 Goalie Ratings

Post by RichBasterd »

Freaking goalie-boned again this offseason :roll: :x :evil:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
John - Sharks
San Jose Sharks

Post by John - Sharks »

I didn't catch this discussion. I'm going to tweak the ratings for goalies that have played 15 or fewer games so don't take these ratings as gospel yet.

I think a cap system would work. For 11-15 games played, the main goalies ratings will be capped at 85. For 6-10 games played, cap at 75. For 1-5, cap at 65. I won't adjust for over 15.
DHL Commissioner
DHL Season 4, 5, 9, 12, 16 Champions
Dallas Chris
Dallas Stars

Post by Dallas Chris »

John - Sharks wrote:I didn't catch this discussion. I'm going to tweak the ratings for goalies that have played 15 or fewer games so don't take these ratings as gospel yet.

I think a cap system would work. For 11-15 games played, the main goalies ratings will be capped at 85. For 6-10 games played, cap at 75. For 1-5, cap at 65. I won't adjust for over 15.

Are you tweaking for the newly created goalies, or all goalies who meet the above criteria.
John - Sharks
San Jose Sharks

Post by John - Sharks »

Dallas Chris wrote:
John - Sharks wrote:I didn't catch this discussion. I'm going to tweak the ratings for goalies that have played 15 or fewer games so don't take these ratings as gospel yet.

Are you tweaking for the newly created goalies, or all goalies who meet the above criteria.

Newly created ones this season and probably all goalies starting in Season 18.
DHL Commissioner
DHL Season 4, 5, 9, 12, 16 Champions
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild

Post by Chris-Wild »

Goalies affected by this decision:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (87.49 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
Chris | Wild GM
Nick - Philly
Philadelphia Flyers

Post by Nick - Philly »

Chris-Wild wrote:Goalies affected by this decision:
Untitled.jpg

That's a big blow to Jones.
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild

Post by Chris-Wild »

It is, mid rates are kind of shitty that way, rookies who have great starts get overblown ratings since it's such a small sample...i wonder if we need to look at eliminating the creation of rookies alltogether (in mid rates) but i think john's limits make sense for the short term...Svedberg and Jones kind of stick out like sore thumbs...
Chris | Wild GM
Nick - Philly
Philadelphia Flyers

Post by Nick - Philly »

I really like the limits. I think that a goalie that plays over 12 games out of 41 should be eligible to be created, but they shouldn't be a starter. Not an issue most years, but this season there have been some amazing rookie runs.
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild

Post by Chris-Wild »

Nick - Philly wrote:I really like the limits. I think that a goalie that plays over 12 games out of 41 should be eligible to be created, but they shouldn't be a starter. Not an issue most years, but this season there have been some amazing rookie runs.

85 is still amonst the leagues best starters so while it caps it from being top 3 they are still going to be elite...
Chris | Wild GM