Where Ben's headed. Jr prospect questions.

Talk about what's going on in the hockey world
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Where Ben's headed. Jr prospect questions.

Post by Ben-Sens »

If you want me to take notes and a proper scouting report on a guy you have let me know, below I'll put the games I'll attend each week.
Won't focus on more than 2/3 drafted prospects per game

Feb 7th - 13th:
WED: Halifax @ Gatineau
FRI: Oshawa @ Ottawa
SAT: Syracuse @ Binghamton - Ewanyk (TOR)

Feb 14th - 20th:
SUN: Windsor @ Ottawa
MON: North Bay @ Ottawa - Amadio (LAK)
FRI: Kingston @ Ottawa
FRI: Barrie @ London ** - Marner (TOR)
SAT: Niagra @ Ottawa

Feb 21st - 27th:
SUN: Niagra @ Kingston **
WED: Cape Breton @ Gatineau
FRI: Sudbury @ Ottawa
FRI: Rimousk @ Gatineau **
SAT: London @ Ottawa - Bernhardt (TOR)

Feb 28th - March 5th:
SUN: Eerie @ Niagra **
SUN: Moncton @ Gatineau
FRI: Kelowna @ Kamloops **
SAT: Victoriaville @ Gatineau

Might not see all games depending on last second schedule changes and life.
** - TV game, probably won't watch them for a few days.
Last edited by Ben-Sens on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soon my pretties will be ready and I'll have a dynasty... soon #aimharder #shootbetter
anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Re: Where Ben's headed. Jr prospect questions.

Post by anthgrt-la »

Mike Amadio as possible, but we discussed him before.
Alex
Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Alex »

anthgrt-la wrote:Mike Amadio as possible, but we discussed him before.

Kid has progressed every year he's played. He's really come out of his shell on a average team this season. He's really embracing a leadership role since Nick Paul left. His offensive output has really improved and he's playing with a lot more confidence. I'm not sure how it will translate to the pro game exactly, but I think LA got a pretty nice steal. I think he's got the work ethic and skating in addition to defensive awareness to at least be a third liner.
DHL Season 14 Champions - Edmonton Oilers
DHL Season 26 Champions - Toronto Maple Leafs
Alex
Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Alex »

Binghamton - Travis Ewanyk
London - Daniel Bernhardt
London - Mitch Marner
Habs GM
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Habs GM »

Are you going to dress like Waldo on the TV games and we'll have to find you in the crowd? Winner to get $1M DHL cash?
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Habs GM wrote:Are you going to dress like Waldo on the TV games and we'll have to find you in the crowd? Winner to get $1M DHL cash?

tv games are games i'm going to watch on tv not ones that will be on tv and im present at.
Soon my pretties will be ready and I'll have a dynasty... soon #aimharder #shootbetter
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Just another example for people that want one.

Decided to do Trenin (OTT) tonight

#32: Solid game. (1G 1A +3 5s) Used his physicality to take control of this game at times. Can drop shoulder and skate through players, skating has improved tremendously since start of year. Continues to dominate FO, 14/20 tonight, using good stick to win clean and physical skills to out muscle players in scramble draws. Can carry puck up ice well, committed defensively at all times and has learned to add offense to that as opposed to last season. Projects as a middle 6 C with top 6 upside that can play on both PP and PK.
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Ewanyk for Alex, a bit of an altered write up cause I also put him in rinknet as a FA to be.

4th line C + 3rd PP unit (last 15 seconds max). Capable on FO but not dominant. Good phys play between and after whistles but could pick spots better. Shot is ok with below average hands and feet. Strong on his feet and wins physical battles displacing people in front of net. Expiring 2 way deal and unlikely he gets another NHL deal, likely signs an AHL contract for team in need of character bottom 6 player. Not enough skill to go to Europe.
Alex
Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Alex »

Thanks Ben
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Alex wrote:
anthgrt-la wrote:Mike Amadio as possible, but we discussed him before.

Kid has progressed every year he's played. He's really come out of his shell on a average team this season. He's really embracing a leadership role since Nick Paul left. His offensive output has really improved and he's playing with a lot more confidence. I'm not sure how it will translate to the pro game exactly, but I think LA got a pretty nice steal. I think he's got the work ethic and skating in addition to defensive awareness to at least be a third liner.

To hop on this.

#18: Wears "C". Played top line C + PP and PK. Lots of upper body strength with weaker legs. Got caught in open ice a few times but along the boards uses upper body well to shield the puck. Quick stride but lacks breakaway speed. Has a good stick in all three zones. Good IQ and finds quiet spots in offensive end on the rush and cycle. Shot is NHL level with quick release, scored a pair of goals both with no time for goaltenders to react to puck being on his stick. NHL upside is a bottom six role player that can score, high end sees him being a third line two way C.
anthgrt-la
Los Angeles Kings

Post by anthgrt-la »

Appreciate the input :)
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Playoffs start in a couple weeks for CHL and with the Briar in Ottawa there isn't a lot to watch.

March 4th Kelwona (Chartier - SJS, Stephens - BUF, Kirkland - NSH) v.s. Kamloops (Rehill - NJD, Sideroff - ANA) TV game
March 4th Penn State (McAdam - NYI) v.s. Wisoncsin (Besse - ANA, Hughes - BOS, Wittchow - FLA, Soleway - ARI, Ustaski - WPG) TV game
Martch 5th Vicotriaville (No NHL drafts) v.s. Gatineau (Laplante - Drafted UFA, Carriere - NSH, Paquin-Boudrea Drafted UFA, Trenin - NSH, Meloche - COL) Live game
March 6th Kingston (Foegele - CAR, McKeown - CAR, Desrocher - TOR, Crouse - FLA, Dal Colle - NYI, Waston - LAK) v.s. Windsor (Sanvido - DAL, Chatham - NJD, Fischer - ARZ, Lemieux - BUF, Digianto - TBL) TV game
March 11th Gatineau (see above) V.S. Quebec (Booth - CAR (INJ) Maybe live maybe TV
March 13th Price George (Ruopp - CBJ, Morrisson - NYR, Harkins - WPG, Gabrielle - BOS, Olson - VAN) v.s. VIctoria (Hickkets - DET, Redekopp - LAK) TV game

March 16-21st I have no clue where I'll be and have 13 dfferent CHL games on my schedule as it's OHL cup time :-D #2018NHLDraft #2019NHLDraft
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild
Location: "All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don’t break them for no one."

Post by Chris-Wild »

Interested in:

Kirkland, Desrocher, Crouse, Booth, Harkins, Hickkets
Chris | Wild GM
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Chris-Wild wrote:Interested in:

I've seen Desrocher 5 times this year now.

He's got above average size effective on both sides of the puck and plays a veteran stable role. He's not physical for his size but is a fairly effective two way dman. He has pro upside but might just be a journeyman AHL type.

Hicketts I saw in Victoria on my trip to BC and was shocked when watching the game. Was sitting with the healthy scratches on the team and they were giving the guy shit, he's the captain. Supposedly is a brown noser for the coach and you're not allowed to hit him in practice. He's a good jr but had two diving penalties in the game. He has a reputation for flopping around the ice and having a bad attitude but outside of that he's a strong Jr. Might be a 6 at the NHL level.

Crouse I posted in GVFHL "Crouse is a big body forward obviously and he skates around the ice well. He uses his size well and forces teams to match against him. At the start of the year he was playing with two much smaller players and did all the corner work and was unable to do all that much else. Recently he's been playing with some guys who can handle the corner so he has a cycle game going at times and picks his times to come out well. On the rush he's not dynamic or anything but he has a good hard shot and vision. Defensively he's very good for a winger and makes a difference. All in all he's not extremely flashy but he makes very smart plays in a big body and he's consistent. There's no way he's not a 2nd line winger but I also don't see potential for a lot more."

Other guys I can do, I'm also very interested in Kirkland was cut very early for a former second by Nashville in the last year before he's due a contract. Have heard good and bad things about him but have never seen him live.
Ben-Sens
Former Ottawa GM

Post by Ben-Sens »

Chris-Wild wrote:Interested in:

Just watched that Kamloops Kelowna game.

Kirkland centered the 3rd line but got PP and PK time. Had a goal and I thought he had a secondary assist but they didn't give it to him. He's good on the cycle. He kinda just is a good player but has nothing where you say that tool is gona make him stand out at the next level. I could see him being a 3rd liner with kinda average everything. Than again at times he'll have these small bursts where he's an exceptional player that uses his size really well and blows by people with his feet.

I think there's a legit question on whether or not he really wants to go anywhere.

I'll say I was a lot happier with Sideroff as a Sens prospect than I was with Kirkland.