Tablets and kids

Talk about anything that's non-DHL related
Lance - Ducks
Anaheim Ducks

Tablets and kids

Post by Lance - Ducks »

My wife and I are contemplating tablets for our kids... something we're still very much on the fence about. Any recommendations? And most importantly, what cases would you recommend?
RichBasterd
Florida Panthers

Re: Tablets and kids

Post by RichBasterd »

We almost got a Kindle Fire for Kids (but our son is too familiar with the iPad that its just easier). But its a good deal because it comes with a case already and it comes with a "2-year worry-free guarantee: if they break it, return it and we'll replace it for free. No questions asked." Price also is affordable at $100 (though I just saw they are running a deal for 2 of them for $150).
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
– Yoda
Alex
Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Alex »

My school board is part of a small group initiative pilot project regarding iPads. Every student within our board (GR. 7-12) are given their own iPad between September through June. These iPads are theirs to take home etc. It's an interesting project with many pros and cons. There's been a fair amount of positive feedback and quite a bit of negative both from teachers, students and parents. I'm not sure what the long-term effects are, but being around our youth everyday and watching and living the social issues they deal with that weren't present even a decade ago, or at least not in as high a frequency would make me reconsider at what age I would allow my kids ( I don't have any) to have access.

I'm a big believer in technology helping kids, but the evidence is overwhelming that technology and social media awhen mixed and used as much as they are currently our youth are suffering for it.

The only thing I would suggest if you are getting them is definitely creating boundaries, guidelines etc. It's the new, "only allowed an hour of play indoors, then outside" rules we had, just with tech.

Oh, sorry. To answer:

iPads are the most common and starting to make their way into education systems (ie. my board) but iOS is not great if you want them to have a solid understanding of how computers/file systems work in the business world.

Android based give those other options, but again aren't the norm.

Every iPad our board gives out comes with an Otterbox case.
DHL Season 14 Champions - Edmonton Oilers
DHL Season 26 Champions - Toronto Maple Leafs
Chris-Wild
Minnesota Wild
Location: "All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don’t break them for no one."

Post by Chris-Wild »

i hate apple, 2x the price, half the storage and seem to be cornering the market in ripping customers off.

As for cases, buy an otterbox, i didn't and cracked 2 ipad screens almost back to back...
Chris | Wild GM
twestacott
Washington Capitals

Post by twestacott »

I work in IT for a major hospital and am fully with Chris in loathing Apple. Extremely overpriced and if you did your research you could get much better specs for a much better price. Apple cornered the market because they preach innovation and sell ease of use by taking away any options/decisions and essentially telling you "this is what you want". One or two standard configurations and very little choice other then cosmetic. The funny part about the innovation they shove down your throat is that Apple actually rarely innovates anything anymore. They find really good ideas that other companies have done well and then just buy them up to incorporate into the new iphone. Google/Android have been far more bleeding edge for quite a while they just dont market it nearly as well.

For personal use I think it comes down to personal preference and what you are looking to do. Do you already own any apple or android devices? If so I always like to recommend sticking with the same platform. If you already own an iphone stick with apple. If you own an Android then stick with Android. Makes life much easier when it comes to syncing data and interfacing between devices. If you haven't selected a platform then I would look at it like this. Are you looking for ease of use and a clearly defined support system or is having different hardware options and customization ability more important to you. If its ease of use then go with Apple as they lock it down pretty good making it difficult to mess up something and you always have the apple store to turn to for help. If you want your kids to learn a little more and how the technology works and really customize their devices to make them their own then go Android.

As for the case definetly go with otterbox. Every tablet we issue whetehr it be to do patient surveys, take meal selections or for physicians to do rounds comes with an otterbox as they are the closest thing to bulletproof.
S23 General Manager of the Year
S24 Presidents Trophy Winner
S23 Presidents Trophy Winner
Steve - Nashville
Nashville Predators

Post by Steve - Nashville »

I bought an Ipad Air to handle ny musical hobby.....it is limited to only what they feel you need. If I had to do it again, I would certainly gone with Android or even a Surface Tab....much more flexible and fun.
Season 26
Presidents Cup Champion
Western Conference Champion
Howe Division Champion

Trophy Case
S26- Connor Hellebuyck- Vezina Trophy